Monday, September 26, 2011

LEIGHTON HOUSE MUSEUM ..........


On Friday, we went to Leighton House Museum which is the former studio/house of the Victorian artist Lord Frederic Leighton ( 1830-1896 ). It is located on the edge of London's Holland Park with sumptuous interiors and paintings by Leighton and his contemporaries including John Everett Millais, Edward Burne-Jones and George Frederick Watts.


The museum provides an unforgettable insight into Leighton's private world and is a unique venue for the understanding and appreciation of Victorian art and architecture.



I started to take some photographs and all of a sudden this very angry woman came rushing up to me and told me off !! She told me that photography wasn't allowed and she followed me for the remainder of my time there !! At least she didn't take my camera and smash it ! The following are what I managed to take before I was found out. There aren't any of the upstairs, as she had got my number by then !













From the outside of the house, you would never guess how beautiful the interior is. Although the experience wasn't quite as good as my favourite house in Spitalfields ..... Dennis Sever's House ..... but, it is well worth a visit.
Also, it is situated in one of the most salubrious parts of London. Here are just a few of the wonderful houses that we passed .....








..... on our way to .....






but, that's another story .....




image 1: via gutenburg, image 3: via what to do, image 4: via The Gaurdian, all other images by me.


Jackie

No comments:

Post a Comment